Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Car Seats, Car Seats, and More Car Seats!




         Car seat shopping can be over-whelming, especially when one looks at the prices. The logical choice seems to be to buy a convertible car seat like the one seen left and here (Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat in Triton). Most of these claim that they carry a minimum weight of 5lbs. This is true, but there is something you are not told. Many hospitals will not allow babies to go home in these, since they are not really meant for newborns. There is one for newborns that Graco makes, but you will have to be willing to part with $300. For that, you could get a convertible one, as well as an infant car seat.
         I was very reluctant to buy an infant car seat because it would only fit my child for a matter of months. The money almost did not seem worth it. I did change my mind after finding out that I could not technically bring my son home in the other car seat. I had been ignoring the ease that comes with these carrier car seat (Safety 1st Designer 22 Infant Car Seat, Nordica). They can be carried anywhere without disturbing the baby, whether it be the pediatricians, a restuarant, or the grocery store. Multiple bases or buckets can be purchased (Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat Base, Silver). Also, stroller frames can be purchased if you did not purchase a travel system (Graco SnugRider Infant Car Seat Stroller Frame). My regret is not getting one that is compatible with my Bugaboo stroller (Bugaboo Cameleon Stroller - Dark Grey Base/Orange Canvas Tailored Fabric Set). Bugaboo has car seat adapters for Graco (Bugaboo Cameleon Adapter for Graco Car Seat) and Max Cosi (Bugaboo Car Seat Adapter For Maxi Cosi Mico Car Seats) car seats. This would allow me to simply take Damon out of the car and snap him into the stroller. In the end, it definitely is worth it to get the infant carrier car seat for your own sanity and simply convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment